Carolina Facial Plastic Surgery

Revision Rhinoplasty FAQ

If  you’ve experienced an unsatisfactory rhinoplasty result, it may be time to consider undergoing a revision rhinoplasty in North Carolina. One of the most important parts of undergoing this procedure is to ensure the patient’s is well educated about the procedure and can realistic expectations.  Dr. Kulbersh take time and energy to ensure all patients questions and concerns are answered before surgery.

Below is a list of commonly asked revision rhinoplasty questions which Dr. Kulbersh believes are important for patients.

Q: What are the most common reasons to undergo a revision rhinoplasty?
A: There are several reasons to elect to undergo a procedure. Common reasons include nasal asymmetry, overturned nose, un-natural appearance, visible scars, nasal collapse, breathing difficulty, and many more.

Q: How long do I need to wait before I can undergo a second rhinoplasty or revision rhinoplasty?
A: Generally, one needs to wait at least one year before undergoing a revision. This ensures that the nose has completely healed and the swelling from the previous surgery has resolved.  It would be unwise to undergo revision surgery if there was swelling present from the previous surgery.

Q: Who should perform a revision rhinoplasty?
A: Besides finding a doctor with the proper expertise, it’s important to find a surgeon that specializes in revision.  It’s also a good idea to ask to see a surgeon’s before and after photos to get a better idea of their skill and aesthetic taste. Dr. Kulbersh always strives for a natural and balanced result and encourages patients to ask questions that they may have about the procedure.

Q: Will a revision rhinoplasty leave scars?
A: All incisions on skin will leave a scar.  The goal of a facial plastic surgeon is to ensure the scar is a small as possible.  Depending on the approach of the procedure, there may or may be scars on the skin.  If incisions are made on the inside of the nose, the scars will be inside of the nose. Incisions on the outside of the nose there will be small scars, but they they heal so well they typically they can barely be seen.

Q: Will a revision rhinoplasty improve my breathing?
A: Yes, if having nasal obstruction secondary to a collapse of the nose from the previous surgery, then a revision rhinoplasty will improve breathing.  During the surgery, cartilage will be added to the nose to strengthen it and open the airway.  If the breathing is obstructed secondary to a deviated septum or large turbinates, they can be fixed with a septoplasty or turbinate reduction procedure. Neither one of these procedures will increase the recovery time.

Q: Should I have my surgery performed with the same doctor that did my primary rhinoplasty?
A: This is up to the patient. If a patient has trust that the doctor has the experience and skill to get a successful outcome, then going back to the original doctor can be a great option.  If that trust is no longer present, it is  suggested to consult with a specialist.

Q: How long does it take to see final results from a revision rhinoplasty?
A: The recovery after a revision rhinoplasty is longer than a primary procedure.  As a general rule of thumb, 40% of swelling diminishes within 6 weeks, with the remaining 60% disappearing over the next 1.5 years.  Although the swelling may take a while to resolve, significant improvements to the nose can be appreciated much earlier.

Q: What is revision rhinoplasty recovery like?
A: Recovery is very similar to that of a primary rhinoplasty. One can expect swelling, bruising, and minor discomfort for the first couple of weeks, with all symptoms subsiding over time. Patients often return to work and to their normal daily schedules after 7-10 days.

Q: What is the cost of revision rhinoplasty?
A: It’s very difficult to determine a cost until I am able to meet with the patient in person as each individual is unique and wishes to correct different problems. I encourage you to schedule a consultation at my office to see what the best approach for you will be and to figure out the cost of rhinoplasty for your needs.

Speak With An Expert Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon Today

Dr. Kulbersh understands the importance of bringing patients only the best results possible, which means he will take every precaution and address each concern to ensure that the patient is ready to undergo the procedure. If interested in learning about revision rhinoplasty, but haven’t spoken with an experienced facial plastic surgeon about the best options, contact Carolina Facial Plastics today by calling (704) 908-3063 to schedule an appointment with the best rhinoplasty surgeon in Charlotte.

Trained with the Top Rhinoplasty
Surgeon in Beverly Hills

Dr. Paul Nassif Hear what Dr. Paul Nassif of Botched says about Dr. Kulbersh
Affiliations

E-Newsletter Sign-Up